Tuesday, February 26, 2008

BFtP: #39 Get Featured on a Sports Blog (Part III)

After a weeklong hiatus from our epic tale, we resume our story after young Jason leaves Redskins' Training Camp and heads off into the sunset with the Cone nestled safely into his car's trunk.

Upon returning home and explaining to my parents about why we had to keep a traffic cone in our house, I proceeded to write about my incredible day in this blog that I had started at the beginning of the summer. This blog was supposed to chronicle my summer at home and would make writing my internship paper much easier to do, but of course, I found out that my work recieved Google Blog Alerts, so that wasn't happening. Despite the original intention, I decided to write down this extraordinary moment since the moment was fresh in my mind and I wanted to put down the pure joy and exuberance that I felt during that day.

The next morning, I had to return to work at my internship. My bosses decided to give me four-day weekends in the summer for a multitude of reasons, including 1) I would get my work done too quickly, 2) there were too many interns, 3) I lived the closest to home, and 4) I would always get on everyone's nerves. Fair enough. They would send me on "research" missions, where they would have me research certain things and report back to them. Although I loved the days off, the work was very tedious. Those first days back in the office during the week were always the worst, since I would seem to have work to do when I wasn't in the office. Of course, the first order of business after checking my e-mail and facebook was to see Steinz himself wrote. I figured that something would happen since he was interested in these kinds of things and he was writing shit down.

And then, I went to the DC Sports Bog, and BAM it was there. At the top of the page, there was an article about Redskin players autographing a traffic cone. Holy shit. I wanted to scream really loud and prance around the office but I could not because I was supposed to be fixing spreadsheets and making phone calls. Of course, I spent the majority of the morning placing and recieving congratulatory calls from my fellow comrades, ignoring the mounting pile of work. At midday, without a single thing done, my office manager walked into my office and asked what I was doing, as she could obviously see that I was way off-task. I had to unfortunately admit what I was doing and she told me that the boss wanted to see me in his office pronto.

I spent what seemed like forever in my boss' office that afternoon, explaining to him what I was doing and why I was at Redskins Training Camp instead working on "research" for the organization. I recieved a stern lecture from my boss about the importance of doing what you're told and blah blah blah. Like I really cared, since I was two weeks away from the end of my internship and the benefits of being on a sports blog outweighed the scorn I received from my bosses. Honestly, I was yelled at more for this stupid incident than for puking in the sink or even breaking the copier right before an event. Go me.

And with that, we end our story. Granted, there may be much left to be desired, but this is the story of how one my goals went down and was accomplished. I do not think I will ever do this kind of three-part story ever again.

Here are the articles if you're interested:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/08/the_cone.html

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/08/skins_go_stache.html


Thank you and goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.